Instructions for Applying for the W Suffix
- Log into to the CAPA system and select either “Begin a New Course Proposal” to create a new course or “Begin a Course Change Proposal” to modify an existing course.
- Enter the course prefix and number.
- In the next field check the radio button for Writing Intensive Course (W Suffix).
- In the “Non-traditional Format” field enter the following language:
This version of the course will be taught as writing intensive, which means that the course will include substantial and ongoing writing assignments that a) relate clearly to course learning; b) teach the communication values of a discipline—for example, its practices of argument, evidence, credibility, and format; and c) prepare students for further writing in their academic work, in graduate school, and in professional life. The written assignments will result in a significant and diverse body of written work (the equivalent of 6000 words or 25 pages) and the instructor (and/or the teaching assistant assigned to the course) will be closely involved in student writing, providing opportunities for feedback and substantive revision.
- In the either the “Course Objectives” or “Topical Outline” field, indicate what kinds of writing assignments will be assigned and how they will be distributed throughout the course of the semester.
- Please check this link for deadlines for submitting proposals through the CAPA system: https://www.capa.uga.edu/Capa/CapaDeadlines.html